The objective of the component is to promote rehabilitation of watersheds in the target areas to enhance conservation of watershed and to provide the IPs and ICCs with opportunities to improve their socio-economic well being.
Implementation & Institutional Arrangements
- PSO - will manage the project fund and facilitate the implementation of reforestation and agroforestry activities as well as coordinate research and application of IKSP, conservation financing mechanisms and pilot community forest management. it will also monitor and evaluate overall component activities.
- LGUs - shall be a key partner in the implementation of reforestation and agroforestry. A provincial coordination committee for reforestation shall be established and shall meet on a regular basis.
- DENR - will be providing technical support and advisory work and shall be members to the provincial reforestation committees. the DENR-CAR entered into a MOA with NCIP-CAR and PSO for the IFMS activities in which a TWG was formed.
- NCIP - will assist the component in all its activities as provided in the MOA signed between NCIP-CAR and DA-CHARM and in the MOA signed with DENR-CAR for the IFMS.
- Council of Elders/IPOs - the LGU and the CMOs shall assist in the identification of IPOs/POs which will implement the CSDC for reforestation. Members of the Council of Elders/Leaders who will hold office bearer positions in the POs. if applicable, the project will promote the Council of Elders/Leaders to be the contracting bodies.
- NGO/Academe - shall be tapped for special studies such as IKSP/IFMS and other activities that requires technical specialties. NGO shall be hired to monitor the progress of CSDC and performance of planted seedlings.
- NIA - will corroborate identification of reforestation sites
SITE SELECTION CRITERIA FOR REFORESTATION AREA AS PER APPRAISAL REPORT
- Status of Land:
- Land falls with the jurisdiction of 37 participating municipalities of th 6 provinces of CAR;
- Land should be designated by the communities as suitable for forestry or agroforestry according to the agreements made in community meetings;
- No family or clans claim their possession of the identified land except those covered by community agreements; and
- Land should have a relativey flat land adjacent to establish nurseries.
- Critical micro-community watersheds
- The first priority of reforestation activities should be in critical micro-watersheds supplying water for irrigation and domestic water facilities of the concerned barangay.
- Natural Condition
- Land should not have abundant natural regeneration or covered with secondary grown bushes;
- Soil of the target areas should have appropriate soil layers to facilitate root development of trees;
- Rocky or course terrains should be avoided; and
- Areas where no water is available for seedling production should be avoided.
- Land should have at least foot paths so that no major investments for infrastructure will be required;
- Nurseries should be accessible for a daily operation